Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Welcome to the Post Partum Party

It's the topic nobody wants to think about, but the question on EVERY first-time-mom's mind...WHAT do I need for my recovery??  Obviously every one is different and every birth is different, so I'll just share what worked for me after my vaginal delivery with a non-nursing baby, which lead to exclusively pumping.

My number one suggestion: GET UP AND MOVE!!!  I will admit that I did horrible in this area, and I think I paid for it down the road.  I would literally only get up to use the restroom and then lay right back down in bed.  I was afraid of messing something up, and honestly, none of the nurses were really telling me any differently.  After getting home, I noticed that the more I walked, the less sore I was and the easier everything became.

And on that note, if you are up moving around, you might as well take advantage of that in-room shower and get yourself cleaned up.  I didn't do this either (again with the nerves), but really wish I had.  A nice shower and freshly blow dried hair can work wonders for a girl!!

I took a whole lot of things to the hospital and ended up not even opening my bags.  (For the breakdown of what I took and what I used, you can head over to THIS blog.)  I brushed my teeth and ate my snacks, but that was really it.  The hospital will have everything you need as far as your recovery goes, so just focus on your comfortable clothes to change in to, any entertainment things you might want (computer, iPad, magazine, books, etc), and of course your camera!

Just as much as you want to be prepared for the hospital, you'll want to be prepared once you get home, too.  And considering all that you just went through and the new little life you are taking care of, you probably won't want to be out running errands, so check off as much as you can from this list before heading to the hospital.

For taking care of yourself:
Water bottle (You're going to want to drink as much water as you can, so a water bottle on hand at all times is a MUST...the water will help with your healing AND with breastfeeding)

Heating pad  (Let's face it, you won't be having a spa day any time soon, but this will work as a substitute for ANY sore areas for the time being.  My two suggestions: sitting on it and putting it on your ever-growing boobs!)

Bath Essentials (In addition to that heating pad, you can take a bath once or twice a day...or 10 times if you'd like...to help ease some of the discomfort you will be having.  A nice bath with some of your favorite candles might be all you need to get a second wind!)

Pajamas/Comfy Clothes (Your body is changing. A LOT.  You're smaller than you were yesterday, but still not as small as you were before that belly bump took over, so having some soft comfy pajamas on hand that are size appropriate is a must.  My favorites - Vera Wang's top and pant set from Kohls)

Hospital prescribed meds  (Until you know what you are up against, be sure to stay on top of your medication schedule.  You've got enough going on that you'll want to be in control of what you can - including pain!  The medication they give you can cause constipation, so stool softeners are highly recommended...there's enough going on without adding more to it!)

OTC pain meds  (Once you get to where you aren't needing those stronger pain meds, you might want to try some over-the-counter options while you're still adjusting...but be sure to check with your doctor before you take anything while breastfeeding)

For feeding that sweet baby (Pumping or Breastfeeding):
Breast pads, lanolin/coconut oil, wipes (Breastfeeding or not, you're going to need breast pads until your milk supply dries up.  I had both the disposable and washable kind and liked both for different reasons.  The disposable were definitely easier.  If you are pumping or breastfeeding, you will want some type of cream to help with any dryness/soreness that comes up as your body gets used to its new job!  I've heard coconut oil works great!  Also, having wipes handy to clean yourself off after the pumping/breastfeeding sessions will be helpful, too.)

Breast Pump (If you don't HAVE to pump...DON'T DO IT.  The longer you can hold off on pumping, the better.  But if you do have to in those early weeks, be sure to have all of your pump supplies set up and ready to go.  I had the pump set up in Bryleigh's room next to her glider, and had the rest of the materials set up in the kitchen right next to the sink.  You have to clean ALL of the pieces after each and every pumping session.)

Entertainment materials (You'll be spending LOTS of time with that baby in your arms while you are feeding him or her, and if you're pumping...you'll have even MORE time where you are just sitting.  This is where an iPad/tv/computer with Netflix or DVDs will come in very handy!)

Snacks/Meals (You're STILL eating for two...but this time, it helps you LOSE weight rather than gain it!  With all the work you are doing taking care of your sweet newborn, you're going to be needing some extra fuel, not to mention the 500 extra calories you need to consume while breastfeeding...so make sure you have snacks on hand.) 

For going to the bathroom...yes, for real:
I will note that we had a TV tray set up with all of these items and a trash can ready to go in our potty closet, so I didn't have to grab anything on my way in - except refilling the water bottle.  You definitely don't have to use all of these each time or at all, and you might find things that work better for you.  It's all about what makes you feel clean and comfortable...well, as comfortable as possible!!



Water Bottle (You'll get a "fancy" little squirt bottle while you're in the hospital that the nurse will tell you how to use..."Fill it up with warm water and use in place of toilet paper" is basically the gist of it, though.  It just might end up being your favorite part of the recovery process.)

Dermoplast (You'll get this in the hospital too, but you might want to have an extra can on hand at home just in case you run out.  I just sprayed a little each time I went to the restroom.  It's supposed to work like a numbing spray of sorts.  It's not TOO strong, but does take some of the burning/painfulness away.  *I will note that I was able to get an actual numbing cream that I used during my hospital stay and for the first few days I was at home.  it's worth asking your nurse while you are in the hospital*)

Pads (The gross but inevitable part...all that was building up inside DOES have to come out - vaginal AND C-Section deliveries alike.  Although it slows down quite a bit after the initial 24 hours or so.  Everyone is different, but I had to wear a pad for the first 5 to 6 weeks after Bryleigh was born.  I think it goes without saying, but tampons are NOT an option at this time in your recovery.)
Tucks (Another question you get a lot or new momma's are concerned about...I certainly was...is the first time you go "number 2".  There's a lot going on down there during this time and everything has a little trauma.  The tucks can be used to offer relief from more than just hemorrhoids, but I will say that I didn't use too much of these because I had a prescription cream from the hospital that I was able to use, and it lasted through most of my recovery at home, too.  I took a box of gauze, cut them in to small squares and just applied the medicine each time I went to the bathroom.  It provided some extra relief...and any relief you get is good relief.)

Granny panties (These are a MUST! You won't want to mess up your favorite undies, and most of those probably wouldn't be comfortable with all the extra stuff in them anyways.  I ended up getting some Hanes briefs from Target...not TOO granny, but large enough to fit comfortably with all I had going on.)

My schedule when I got home from the hospital went a little something like this: Head to Bryleigh's room and get all set up for pumping (15 minutes), pump (30 minutes), store breast milk and clean pumping material (15 minutes), change B's diaper, fix B's bottle, feed B, clean B's bottle (all 30-45 minutes depending on how long she took to feed), use the restroom (10-15 minutes...for real...You read the section up above, there's a lot to do!)

If you're keeping up, you can see that is 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours, and for a brand spanking new newborn...that means it's already time to start over again. You take them home on an every 2 hour feeding schedule, possibly 3 hours at the most.

Needless to say, being organized and prepared meant I didn't have to spend quite as long going through the process.

(I will note that un-complicated babies will nurse, cutting out a chunk of the schedule I posted...but Bryleigh just wasn't having it, so pumping was our only option. Also, my mom and hubby did an amazing job helping me and there were times they did the changing or feeding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment