Friday, January 24, 2014

What's in the Bag?


This was the final picture of "The Board" before heading to the hospital.  That looks like a lot more than it really is, but here's my take on what all we took ;)

Pictured from front to back:

1. Bryleigh's Diaper Bag
2. The Boppy, pillows, and blanket
3.  Brad's bag (it's dark...and little, you can't see it, but it's hiding behind that pink Boppy) 
4. My purse and bag
5. "Coming home" clothes are hanging on the door
6. Bryleigh's hospital room door sign



Not Pictured (but VERY important):

Bryleigh's Carseat!  (It was previously installed and already locked in!)

All packed up and ready to go!

Bryleigh's Diaper Bag
*Wipes, diapers, and changing pad - this was mainly for the ride home in case anything major happened.  You won't need any of that while you are in the hospital.
* Pacifiers - We learned in our birthing class that Baylor doesn't provide pacifiers unless they are needed in the NICU, so we brought a few different kinds just in case. **Bryleigh took the soothe pacifier, which we gave her because of the nursing issues we were having.
* Blanket - This was the blanket that we used on the car ride home.  The hospital has plenty of blankets that swaddle those babies up perfectly!
* Burp cloth - They don't necessarily provide these either, although I don't remember using ours in the room, but I did want to have it for the car ride home (just in case).
* Outfits and Pajamas - Obviously you are super excited to dress up this cute little baby and somehow make it even cuter...well Bryleigh went on strike and refused to wear clothes until the day we went home (and that was a major meltdown).  She had her diaper and the swaddle blanket on the entire time we were at the hospital.  The one good thing about this though was ALL the skin-to-skin time we got.  It was so much easier to just put her back on my chest, or for Brad to do the same, if she was already stripped down to her diaper.  I definitely over packed here!

The Boppy, Pillows, and Blanket
My sister in law has gone through this twice, and I always remember seeing her Boppy in the package when they carry it anywhere, both of her kiddos births included.  The Boppy comes in packaging that has sturdy handles attached, so it makes it easy to carry and keeps it nice and clean.  I used the Boppy a LOT in the hospital!

We also used our pillows and blankets the whole time.  We got to the hospital around 8:00 pm on the 16th, so we used ours in the Labor & Delivery room as well as the Post-Partum room.  Our instructor did recommend bringing our pillows in something other than white cases since that is what the hospital has.  It was nice having SOME comfort from home during such an uncomfortable time.  (Not to mention, Brad needed his for sleeping at night on the "pull out couch")

Brad's Bag
Let Daddy pack his own bag, but be sure he's got his toiletries, pajamas of some sort (nurses are in and out of your room all night...boxers might not be appropriate), clothes for a few days (we were there 3 nights and 3 full days), and whatever you'd like for him to wear home.  I know this is when a LOT of our pictures took place.  Also, any snacks he might want for the stay and any type of entertainment (computer, iPod, books, etc.) for all the waiting that happens before baby arrives.

Mommy's Bag
This was probably the "most packed" bag with the least amount of use...but better safe than sorry!  I took all my toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razor, blow dryer, straightener, makeup, face wash, toothbrush/paste, etc.  I had comfy/cute clothes for each day and pajamas for each day, several nursing bras to give them all a try, slippers/house shoes, socks/underwear.  The only things I used were the toiletries on the day we went home and the one outfit for that day.  I just had a really hard time getting in and out of bed and standing on my own, so nice, long showers and "getting ready" each day just wasn't an option.  However, I'd recommend giving it every bit of effort you've got!  I'm sure it's worth it!

I also had my computer, iPod, books and magazines to read (however, I have NO idea why...), chapstick, gum, and my license and insurance all in my purse.

We had a lot going on with feeding and regulating some of Bryleigh's numbers, so I wasn't as focused on putting her in cute clothes and bows for pictures as I thought we might be (funny how fast the priorities change)...and I wouldn't change that time for the world.  I loved all the bonding time I had with Bryleigh and my sweet husband, but it definitely resulted in a lot of overpacked bags with a lot of unused things...and a whole lot of pictures of Bryleigh in a hospital swaddling blanket!

**I will say that it helps to have things packed in separate bags that you might want for Laboring versus recovery.  So whatever you're going to wear during your laboring: any toiletry items you might want for that time, gum/mints, water bottle, entertainment items, etc. Whereas you'll want to bring in your bag with all your clothes and such after you've actually delivered, as well as baby's diaper bag and hospital door sign.  We left our "coming home" clothes in our car until it was time to actually get ready to head home.

Somehow we seemed to have even more going than we did coming...well, besides Bryleigh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment