Friday, January 1, 2016

Live Intentional in 2016

Each year, I spend a little time looking at the year ahead and setting some goals for myself to shoot for in the new year.  Over the past few years, I've honestly been able to achieve more of those goals than I imagined I could as I let go of being "perfect" at each goal and just strived for progress in each area.  Those goals have looked a lot like this:


The thing I have loved more than setting these goals for myself is choosing a word to focus on in the upcoming year because they've always ended up being the perfect word for that year.  Some years, they've come in at the last second, and other years they're as obvious as if God lit up a neon billboard with blinking lights and a large arrow saying, "This is your word, Carrie." (FYI: That's pretty much what happened this year.)

One thing I have learned in claiming these words (I would have said "choosing" them, but I feel like God has declared the words for me) is that you have to be very careful.  It's like praying for patience and you end up feeling a little more like Job than you ever expected, like every day is a new test more difficult than the one before.

Two years ago, my word was endurance - I ended up being 4 days overdue, in labor for over 18 hours and in delivery for about 2 more hours, had a newborn baby with the obvious lack of sleep and daily life lessons, and we rounded out the year with 3 surgeries and 100+ days of home health.  This past year, my word was joy - and although most days were fairly easy to find joy in some way or another, I never dreamed I'd be challenged so much in such a short amount of time when a very wanted pregnancy became a very unwanted miscarriage.  I fought to find joy in the days and months that followed.

As 2015 is coming to a close, I have had NO trouble knowing what my 2016 word should be.  God has been making it obvious for a few months now, and He has continually confirmed and reaffirmed it in various ways.



I remember at the end of my first year in BSF (May 2015), my summer-long prayer request was to be INTENTIONAL with my time.  That one word has continually come to mind time and time again since then.  I'm not sure when exactly God put it on my heart, but I know it is right where He is really working in my life right now.

...And there it is, right there at the bottom of that screenshot above - BEING INTENTIONAL.  So apparently my 2016 word came all the way at the beginning of 2015, and I'm just now realizing it at the end of 2015.  Sometimes God just works like that ;)

So for 2016, I'm not focusing on a whole list of goals in different areas of my life, I'm just focusing on one thing: LIVING INTENTIONALLY - with our finances, with my health, with relationships, with parenting and my time with Bryleigh, with my prayer life, with my relationship with Christ, and every area of my life in between.  And of course, I will continue to find JOY and give thanks in each and every moment, of each and every day the Lord gives me.


No comments:

Post a Comment