Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chalking it Up


I've been tracking my bump progress (or lack thereof) with an old mirror I turned into a chalkboard, and I've had lots of requests for some information on how I've been making them each week...so here you go!



First off, you'll need your supplies - your chalkboard, chalk markers (I find these MUCH easier than regular chalk, your lettering shows up better, and it doesn't get wiped away when you brush your hand across it), a computer with Word and/or Photoshop, a printer, regular chalk (I usually just use white), and a pencil or pen.

Once you have everything you need, you'll want to create your layout - If I am doing something basic, I will create it on Microsoft Word.  If I want the words to overlap or add any type of design elements, I'll create it in Adobe Photoshop Elements.


You want your layout to be true to size.  For example, the chalkboard I've been using is a little over 11 inches wide, so I will create my layout in Landscape, using a font size that is sufficient for what I want to transfer over to the chalkboard.

Once your layout is complete, you will want to print out your design on plain white paper in black ink.  This is easiest to use because you'll be able to see the font through the page.  This is important, because your next step is to flip the page over and you will color over your design with the regular chalk you have on hand.


Once you have completed colored over your design in the chalk, you will want to flip it over and place it directly on the chalkboard where you would like for your design to end up.  At this time, you will want to trace over the design with your pen or pencil.  (Note that any marks you make will create the same marks underneath in chalk, but they can easily be wiped away if any are a mistake.)  When you have completely traced around the design, you can remove your printed copy and you will be left with a chalk outline as shown below.

 

At this point, you will begin to color in your design with the chalk markers (you can also use regular chalk if you'd like).  I usually start with drawing the outline over the existing chalk and then go back and color in the letters and design afterwards.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment